Wednesday, February 11, 2015

''Why I Slept with my 11-year-old Daughter'' — Confession of a Father in Bauchi


How will you feel as a mother if your husband  sexually abuses your innocent daughter? This is the question a woman in Bauchi State is trying to come to terms with, as her husband, Abubakar Magaji, a resident of Liman Kagum in Bauchi local government, did the abominable act of having carnal knowledge of their 11-year-old daughter.

More shocking is the fact that it was not a one-act misadventure but a repeated one. But like a popular saying has it: Many days for a thief and one day for the owner, nemesis eventually caught up with the 45-year-old father when he was arrested and  paraded along with others at the Bauchi State command for rape.

When VM sought to know why Abubakar will abuse his own child  sexually, he confessed he was tempted by the devil. He added that he could not resist defiling his daughter when his wife left him
because of a misunderstanding between them.

Questions from journalists

The father of four who was ashamed to lift his head while answering questions from journalists said:


“I engaged in the ugly act because I had a misunderstanding with my wife and she left me. I am ashamed  of my self because it was temptation that led me to do it.
I divorced her mother and married another wife but unfortunately  my wife also left me a month ago  so I needed a woman to be with; so that was why I did it. I also have a problem with my sexual libido. It is so terrible that I desire any woman I see, but what stops me from approaching them is that people respect me as a married man. So I felt the only way I could relieve my sexual tension was to sleep with my daughter, since she is so young and had no knowledge about sex.
It was after I defiled her and I was arrested by the police that I understood the gravity of my offence. I can’t imagine that I did this to my own daughter. I regret my actions and I pray that God will forgive me”.
When VM visited the residence of the suspect at Liman Katagum, a suburb of Bauchi metropolis,  a neighbour to Abubakar who did not disclose his name, said that he was shocked to hear that Abubakar was arrested by  the police because he defiled his daughter. According to him:
“ I was shocked when I discovered that Mallam Abubakar who I had a lot of respect for will stoop that low and sleep with an 11-year-old child that happens to be his daughter. This is the highest level of abomination and Islam is against such an act. No matter the excuse, a man does not have the right to defile a girl outside the confines of marriage. This is unacceptable and he deserves to be punished by the law”.

Reacting to the development, the state Commissioner of Police, Lawal,  Shehu  expressed worry over the increasing rate of rape cases in the state and vowed that all rape suspects will be charged to court and prosecuted. He said:

“Since January, we have arrested over 10 suspected rapists, only this week we recorded over five cases. It is worrisome that among the suspects arrested is a 45-year-old man who raped his 11-year-old daughter and two aged men who are between 45 to 54 years who raped teenage girls of between two years and four years.
This is why I’m sounding a note of caution to parents,especially mothers, to always monitor the movement of their female children. I particularly want to warn mothers to be always on alert because rape is on the increase and teenagers and little children between five and fifteen years are now the victims.

vanguardngr

No comments: