Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Obasanjo explains why he tore his PDP membership card


Former president Olusegun Obasanjo has explained why he decided to shred his PDP membership card in public. In a telephone interview with Premium Times, Obasanjo says that some PDP members in the state visited his home to inform him that they are planning to expel him from party as he is not an active member. He says it was during the conversation that ensued, that he handed over his membership card to them and asked them to do whatever they wish. Excerpt from the interview after cut…

 “They were concerned that I had only one leg in the party, and worried that since I’m their leader in the ward, they need to hear from me,” the former President said.
You are our leader and it is you we are following. You have remained a card-carrying member of the the party. But since you became angry with the party we have lost sense of direction and now we are hearing that they want to expel you. If they expel you, where do we go? What do we do?” Mr. Obasanjo quoted the ward chairman as saying.
The former president explained that it was at that point that he gave them his PDP membership card and told them that they could do whatever they want with it.
 “In my response, I said when you people came you were singing a song and I agreed that Nigeria is our own. If the issue is the party, I will not choose the party at the detriment of Nigeria and I will fight for Nigeria even at the detriment of the party. I will rather surrender my membership of the party so you people can move on politically,” Mr. Obasanjo explained to PREMIUM TIMES.
“If you people’s worry is that I’m a card-carrying member of the party and I’m not showing you people direction and you are worried that I’m neither here nor there, this is the card; you can keep it, you can burn it or you can tear it, do whatever you want to do with it.”
The former president said he then handed over his membership card to Mr. Oladunjoye, who immediately decided on his own to shred it.'

No comments: