Thursday, February 19, 2015

Cops kill kidnap kingpin, rescue abducted director

Kolawole; Paul
The police in Lagos have shot dead an alleged kidnap gang leader, John Paul, in a gun duel that ensued while a hotel director was being rescued.

It was gathered that the victim, Saheed Kolawole, who was abducted in the Ikorodu area of Lagos was rescued alive.

PUNCH Metro learnt that Kolawole was abducted on January 30 at about 10pm.

According to the police, Kolawole is the director of Scot Hotel in Odonla, Ikorodu, Lagos.

Our correspondent gathered that the kidnappers, who took Kolawole to an unknown destination, contacted Kolawole’s family on the phone and demanded a ransom of $200,000.

It was learnt that while the family reported the matter to the police, they also made arrangements to pay the ransom. The gang reportedly told the relatives to come to a place in the Owutu, Ikorodu area.

Our correspondent gathered that the kidnappers, on February 4, came on a motorcycle to collect the ransom as agreed with the family.

Our correspondent was told that as the kidnappers made to collect the ransom, a gun duel ensued between them and operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad who were lying in ambush.

During the shootout, the gang leader, 31-year-old Paul, reportedly sustained bullet wounds while other members fled the scene.

Paul was said to have been rushed to a hospital by the police, where he died the following day.

Our correspondent learnt that the police were able to locate the kidnapper’s hideout, where Kolawole was being held, and freed him.

A police source revealed to our correspondent that Kolawole was brutalised by the gang as they cut his body with cutlasses to coerce his family into paying the ransom.

The source added that the same gang had attacked the Owutu Police Division in Ikorodu, and killed two policemen during another gun duel.

He said, “The kidnappers took him (Kolawole) to an uncompleted building in the Owutu area from where they were communicating with his family.

“They stripped him naked, and used cutlass on his body. They poured petrol on his skin and threatened to burn it so that his family would hear his scream on the phone and agree to pay the ransom.

“It was the same gang which attacked the Owutu Police Station and shot dead two policemen. They are known to have multiple hideouts in the area. The police have shot dead their gang leader and the others had fled for now.”

Our correspondent learnt that the operational vehicle of the gang, a Toyota Corolla with registration number, APP 626 CP, was recovered by the police.

The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Kayode Aderanti, said at a press briefing on Tuesday that further investigations were ongoing to apprehend other fleeing gang members.

He said, “When I got the information, I directed the Operation Commander, SARS, SP Abba Kyari, to go after the gang.

“The SARS decoy team was able to gun down the kidnap gang leader and rescue the victim alive. The operational vehicle of the gang was also recovered while further investigations are ongoing to apprehend other fleeing gang members.”

No comments: