Thursday, January 22, 2015

Bloody Fight In Congo Over President’s 3rd Term Ambition

The Democratic Republic of Congo have been protesting for three days to stop the continuous reign of their president, Joseph Kabila who intends to go for a 3rd term.

The Roman Catholic Church which has the highest numbers of schools in the country’s capital this morning also shut its schools down when the violence and killings won't stop, BBC reports.

Demonstrators are accusing the government of planning a census to delay next year's elections so that Mr Kabila can hang on to power. Mr Kabila, who has won two disputed elections, is constitutionally barred from running for a third term, but still wants to find a way around it.

The government admits the election could be delayed, but says the census is vital to ensure polls are free and fair.
Opposition leader, Vital Kamerhe says at least 28 protesters had been killed, while 22 had been wounded but government laced the figures at 11, with just a few wounded. Vital also urged the president to leave his seat since citizens no longer want him there.

It will be recalled that  Mr Kabila took power in 2001 following the assassination of his father, Laurent Kabila.

DR Congo is rich in natural resources, but most people are poor in the country.

No comments: